01 Gen 2021 08:30 - 09:15 Messa feriale in Basilica: 02 Gen 2021 08:30 - 09:15 Messa feriale in Basilica: 02 Gen 2021 17:30 - 18:30 Messa prefestiva OMI: DETTAGLI. The church was eventually handed over to the Order of Minims for a period. It is an important work of art by Giuseppe Gallo, and depicts the crucified Christ taken down from the Cross. The tomb of Cardinal Pietro Paolo Parisi was erected in 1604 by the Cardinal's nephew, Bishop Flaminio of Bitonto. The site of the baths has been encroached upon by later buildings, and is not easy to appreciate the original layout. Either side of the apse there are two doors surmounted by busts, one on each side of the choir stalls (the right hand one is now blocked). The horseman on the right was damaged when it was transferred here. They are running away in the background. It comes from St Peter's. The Italian word for a Carthusian monastery is certosa, and the English one is charterhouse. Then it housed the major collection of the Museo Nazionale Romano, but this has now been moved to the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, leaving behind an enormous collection of epigraphs which is housed in modern halls as part of the Museo Nazionale delle Terme. I dettagli sulla morte totale di Santa-Maria-degli-Angeli coronavirus sono riportati qui. On the side walls, above the funarary monuments, are the two paintings Baptism of Water and Baptism of Desire by Francesco Trevisani, painted in the 18th century. The pope offered the saint the ruins of the baths as a place for a new monastery in 1091, but the saint was apparently not impressed. Santa Maria degli Angeli is a frazione of the comune of Assisi in the Province of Perugia, Umbria, central Italy. Three of the great paintings from St Peter's are here. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in January. An enormous piazza, the Piazza delle Termini, ran along the south-east, south-west and part of the north-west sides of the monastery and the Pope used to muster his soliders there in times of trouble. At the winter solstice, the ray crosses the line at the point furthest from the wall. Architect(s): In the centre is a dedication stele flanked by two slabs of African green marble with bronze decorations in the shape of swords with laurel crowns. Type: During the Kingdom of Italy, the church was used for religious state functions. Michelangelo added four pedimented niches to the walls between the chapels and main passageways, and these are all now occupied by funerary monuments. A serious setback then occurred. Parish website (has many images; there is an English language version. Completed in 1702, the object had a threefold purpose: the pope wanted to check the accuracy of the Gregorian reformation of the calendar, to produce a tool to predict Easter exactly, and, not least, to give Rome a meridian line as important as the one Giovanni Domenico Cassini had recently built in Bologna's cathedral, San Petronio. Visitors to this are also able to view the monastic cloisters. The sarcophagus is made in the same type of stone, and the monument is likewise crowned with an arch. However, elements of the complex managed to preserve their roofs throught the Middle Ages, notably the tepidarium and central frigidarium which together became the church, and also a rotunda on the north-west corner which became the church of San Bernardo alle Terme. The former statue used to be on the left hand side of the altar, but was moved when the organ was installed. Visit top-rated & must-see attractions. I guariti di oggi sono 43. Alan Cook remarked, "The disposition, the stability and the precision are much better than those of the famous meridian... in Bologna".. This is the last painting made by the artist, who died in 1746. On the floor around the sundial are several panels portraying signs of the zodiac. It is circular, with a projecting chapel on each side. Later the Catalani family became patrons of the chapels, and a member of that family wrote a book about the construction of the church in the 17th century, providing important information about its history. La realizzazione dell'attuale complesso conventuale dei Padri Passionisti e la Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli a Sora interessò gli ultimi anni del 1500. Beforehand, the main entrance was on the short south-east side of the frigidarium, which was hence the nave. The church was a devotional exercise, and initially lacked a pastoral justification. The transept itself stretches along behind the separate vestibule (the former tepidarium) which has a low tiled octagonal dome. The second niche. Michelangelo Buonarroti, Jacopo Lo Duca On the side walls are Giulio Mazzoni's The Souls in Purgatory and The Praying Pope, painted in the 16th century. The tomb of Cardinal Francesco Alciati (died 1580) was erected in 1583 and is to the left of the Chapel of the Crucifix. In ancient times these led to two rooms with cold plunge pools. Above the monument is a painting showing A Miracle of St Peter by Francesco Mancini. In the dramatic painting, Jesus Christ is welcoming the saint while an angel comes down with the palm and crown of martyrdom. Thus the church is the focus of an important part of the modern city's layout, and hence it is even more of a pity that it does not have its own monumental entrance faรงade. The base is in red Levantine and black Belgian stone. The original layout involved the frigidarium being converted as it was found, with the entrance in the south-east short side and the high altar at the other, north-west end. This was also painted for St Peter's, in 1604. The vestibule with canted corners and identical side chapelsâone chapel has the tomb of Salvator Rosa, the other of Carlo Marattaâleads to a second vestibule, repeated on the far side of the transept, dominated by the over lifesize Saint Bruno of Cologne by Jean Antoine Houdon (1766). The baths themselves occupied an enormous edifice with bilateral symmetry, on a transverse rectangular plan and with the major axis of symmetry running north-east to south-west. Find all the transport options for your trip from Perugia to Santa Maria degli Angeli right here. This work gives a hint of what the main vault may have looked like if the Carthusians had not run out of money. He had it dedicated to Our Lady and St Hyacinth. The chapel was decorated by Niccolรฒ Ricciolini, a pupil of Maratta. This was motivated by the wish to define the monastic enclosure more clearly, but unfortunately the monks only had six years to enjoy the re-arrangement. Especially serious was the clearing of the ruins of the caldarium in order to build a Baroque entrance faรงade which had clustered pilasters and a triangular pediment. The artworks are described in anticlockwise order, starting at the right-hand side when facing the chapel. Parrocchia Santa Maria degli Angeli - Partanna Mondello Yesterday at 3:54 AM 1 GENNAIO 2021 | Primo venerdì del mese Preghiamo il Cuore di Gesù con le intenzioni dell'Apostolato della Preghiera ️ The three figures of Christ, Our Lady and the Archangel Gabriel have arms amputated, and this detail is an allusion to the damaged Classical statues that used to be displayed in the adjacent museum. It was made for the altar of St Sebastian in St Peter's. An arch stretches above the sarcophagus, symbolizing fame and glory. Michelangelo designed the church and started work in 1563, but after his death in 1564 (incidentally the same year that Fr Lo Duca died) his design was completed by his pupil Jacopo Lo Duca, also conveniently a nephew of Fr Lo Duca. The choir stalls in the apse and the background decorations overall were made by Vanvitelli. However, they only had a useful lifetime of just over a century. This is a trompe d'oeil, being merely painted on the wall, as are the apparent stucco decorations to each side. Flanking the altar are two sculptures by Innocenzo Orlandi, dated 1866: The Angel with an Eagle and The Throne, the latter of which is placed upon a bull and a lion. However, the nearest block of buildings belong mostly to the museum not the church. The double gates in between the panels have their swinging barriers in the shape of harps.  The meridian line was restored in 2002 for the tricentenary of its construction, and it is still operational today. In the centre in between these is the painting The Virgin Mary on the Throne between Seven Angels, by an unknown artist. In 1541 Fr Antonio was priest at Santa Maria di Loreto when he had a vision of the ruins of the baths and of seven martyrs who had allegedly died as slaves during its construction (named as Saturninus, Cyriac, Largus, Smaragdus, Sisinnius, Trasonius and Pope Marcellinus). The Chapel of the Crucifix was built in 1575 for the Roman banker Girolamo Ceuli. It is a long narrow room, and two doors in the right hand wall lead into the fomer sacristy. Today it is served by diocesan clergy, and remains a parish church. The choir performs during the main parish Mass on Sunday, at 12:00. However, adjacent ancient chambers to the north-east and the north-west of the eastern palaestra were incorporated into the monastic complex and are now part of the Museo Nazionale Romano. In 2006, Polish-born sculptor Igor Mitoraj created new bronze doors as well as a statue of John the Baptist for the basilica. There is a large round-headed window to the right of the vestibule. The altarpiece is The Apparition of the Virgin Mary to St Bruno by Giovanni Odazzi. They originally had plinths 2 metres high, but these were covered over when Michelangelo raised the floor level. As noted, much of what looks like polychrome marble work in the transept's decorative scheme is actually painted stucco. Other architects and artists added to the church over the following centuries. The terminal fountain for this new supply was very near the present fountain, which was moved when the Piazza dell'Esedra was laid out in order to put it on the major axis of the church. Bianchini's sundial was built along the meridian that crosses Rome, at longitude 12Â° 30' E. At solar noon, which varies according to the equation of time from around 10:54 a.m. UTC in late October to 11.24 a.m. UTC in February (11:54 to 12:24 CET), the sun shines through a small hole in the wall to cast its light on this line each day. It is set in an elliptical tondo, which breaks into the entablature, and shows God the Father enthroned on a cloud and overseeing the expulsion of Adam and Eve from Eden. Best Dining in Santa Maria degli Angeli, Assisi: See 15,581 Tripadvisor traveler reviews of 64 Santa Maria degli Angeli restaurants and search by cuisine, price, location, and more. Also it has two flanking chapels, that of St Hyacinth on the right and the Saviour on the left. A church, designed by Francesco Grimaldi , was built at the site for the Theatine Order . Santa Maria Addolorata a Piazza Buenos Aires, Nostra Signora del Santissimo Sacramento e Santi Martiri Canadesi, https://romanchurches.fandom.com/wiki/Santa_Maria_degli_Angeli?oldid=21781. If you look at the right side of the transept wall, you can see that part of the cornice has been cut away to allow entrance to the sun's rays. His head is bowed in humility and thoughtfulness, and the statue is placed so that the saint is turned towards the centre of the apse. The thermae of Diocletian dominated the Viminal Hill with their ruined mass. Antica Certosa di Roma. The altarpiece depicts A Miracle by Blessed Niccolรฒ Albergati, and was painted by Ercole Graziani in about 1746. Papal nephews, however, used to lose their importance once a pope died. On the right wall, a marble epigraph informs us about an indulgence granted by Pope Gregory XIII to the followers of the Confraternity of the Seven Angels. G.M. They are matched by the arches into the entrance pronaos and the presbyterium pronaos, which are the ends of their barrel vaults. The provision of an apse required the mutilation of the ancient screen wall of the natatio in order to make way for its vault. cells used by the Carthusian hermit monks, each with its little garden separated from its neighbours by a high wall.  The statue (a dedication to the 17th-century scientist and philosopher) was a donation from CCAST (China Center of Advanced Science and Technology) and WFS (World Federation of Scientists). The Fall of Simon the Sorcerer by Pompeo Batoni, painted in 1765, is one of two paintings with this subject in the church. It is surrounded by 24 small paintings of scenes from the life of Our Saviour, attributed to the 16th century artist Hendrik van der Brock (known in Italian as Arrigo Fiammingo). The tomb of Vittorio Emanuele Orlando, on the right side, was made in 1935 by Pietro Canonica, a Piemontese sculptor. The sculptor later turned towards a style more abstract and futuristic than the figurative sculpture shown here. The story derives from an apocryphal work called the Acta of SS Peter and Paul. He was inspired by the practice of Michelangelo of burying his bronze sculpture in fresh excreta and leaving them to stew for months, in order to have them ending up looking antique and hence having added value. In Michelangelo's design, this was the left arm of the transept when what is now the transept was the main body of the church. The sarcophagus is in yellow Sienese marble with a bronze medallion. The Immaculate was painted by Pietro Bianchi in the early 18th century. To the left of the above, at the near end of the left hand side wall of the presbyterium, is The Death of Anania and Saphira by Cristoforo Roncalli, known as Il Pomarancio and not to be confused with the more famous Niccolรฒ Circignani. The Baptism of Desire refers to a concept in the Catholic understanding of baptism. The altarpiece, depicting The Crucifixion, is attributed to Giacomo della Rocca, a pupil of Daniele da Volterra. It was constructed in the 16th century following an original design by Michelangelo Buonarroti. There is an English Wikipedia article on the baths here. The artist Salvator Rosa is interred in a monument contructed by his son in 1673 and sculpted by Bernardino Fioriti. It stands at an elevation of 218 metres above sea level. It is often used for concerts, being one of the best in any parish church in Rome. In the centre of the base is a relief portrait in a clipeus. Covid nel Sannio, 16 nuovi casi. The architect was Gaetano Koch. Rome2rio is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. St Bruno, their founder, had been called to Rome by Pope Urban II, his disciple, to be a papal adviser. This was a liturgical innovation that followed the Second Vatican Council of the Church (although not authorized by that council). 06 48 80 812. ... Tutto questo è il Centro Solidale “Bene Attivi”, inaugurato questa sera al quartiere Santa Maria degli Angeli. A rather etiolated, insectile angel in patinated bronze is shown flying over a black stone pyramid; the artist used corrosive acids to produce the patina. Roccaforte, had decided to turn the former back entrance hall of the church into a chapel dedicated to the founder of his order which was much larger and grander than the one already existing. The monks used it until 1867, when they moved the choir back to the apse (except for winter, when the church would be too cold). The Mass of St Basil by Pierre-Hubert Subleyras was painted in 1745 for the altar of St Basil in St Peter's. This was controlled by an accurate chronometer. In 1896, the wedding of the Prince of Naples, later King Victor Emmanuel III, raised the status of the church. Immacolata Concezione di Maria Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli. Bianchini's sundial was built along the meridian that crosses Rome, at longitude 12ยฐ 30' E. At solar noon, which varies according to the equation of time from around 10:54 a.m. UTC in late October to 11.24 a.m. UTC in February (11:54 to 12:24 CET), the sun shines through a small hole in the wall to cast its light on this line each day. It was provided when the main entrance was moved to here. At either equinox, the sun touches the line between the these two extremes. A young Sicilian priest named Fr Antonio Lo Duca (born 1491) was choir-master of the cathedral when he discovered an ancient fresco of archangels in one of the city's churches. However, the Italian Wikipedia herearticle is better. Part of the preparation for the new suburban expansion hence expected around the church was the provision of a water supply, and this was done by a new private water company called the Acqua Pia restoring part an ancient aqueduct called the Aqua Marcia. Una rosa per Norma Cossetto, cerimonia a Santa Maria degli Angeli Covid-19 e il prezioso lavoro dei Vigili del fuoco, al Cortile di Francesco Cortile di Francesco, il programma di oggi, 19 settembre 2020, domenica Ghebreyesus The Baths of Diocletian were the largest public baths in the city, and served the then heavily built-up areas of the Quirinal and Viminal hills. Some writers have alleged that this ruined the proportions of the architectural space, which is true according to the ideals of Vitruvius. There are three organists and a schola cantorum or choir, and they are good enough to tour to prestigious events elsewhere. The previous titular of this church was William Henry Keeler, Archbishop of Baltimore . The painting shows Tabitha of Joppa being brought back for the dead by St Peter (Acts 9, 36). Condizioni Meteo per oggi e per i prossimi giorni a Santa Maria degli Angeli: Cieli in prevalenza poco nuvolosi per l'intera giornata, ma nella notte sono previste precipitazioni. The new Chapel of St Bruno was constructed as part of the restoration works for the 1700 Jubilee, and has a roof lower than that of the main transept. It was constructed in 1579, and paid for by Consalvo Alvaro di Giovanni. On the other hand, the church has no civic presence as such since the 16th century Baroque faรงade was demolished in the 20th century to expose the surviving wall of the caldarium. At the summer solstice, the sun appears highest, and its ray hits the meridian line at the point closest to the wall. The meridian line built here is 45 meters long and is composed ofbronze, enclosed in yellow-white marble. By the 16th century, the complex was covered in rampant vegetation, and was inhabited by many wild animals. The baths were, in turn, surrounded by a vast rectangular enclosure, the entrance to which was on the north-east side. When the organ was installed one of the pair was moved to a resources room located behind the right hand wall of the chapel; this space, not accessible directly from the church, used to be the Chapel of St Teresa of Avila. The gold-plated statue of the Madonna degli Angeli ("Madonna of the Angels") by the sculptor Colasanti and cast by Ferdinando Marinelli Artistic Foundry, was put on top of the façade in 1930. They are taken in anticlockwise order, right to left when facing the chapel. Beyond that in turn was the caldarium or hot room, the heart of the whole complex. The brother definitely carved the marble bust on the monument, which is just to the right as you enter the vestibule. The first niche. The church was given the status of minor basilica by Pope Benedict XV in 1920. At the top of these is a balustraded screen in veined red marble, which is matched by the stonework of the altar itself just behind it. A story survives which claims that the baths had a link to the Carthusians centuries beforehand. The Museo Nazionale delle Terme, an excellent archaeological musuem, is located in another part of the baths and visiting this allows one access to this cloister. The eight original granite Corinthian columns are 17.14 metres high, including bases and capitals, and have a diameter of 1.62 metres. The chapel of Blessed Niccolรฒ Albergati has the same plan as that of St Bruno on the opposite side, and again is part of the Vanvitelli restoration. Rather, the ancient layout had four plunge pools in adjacent small rooms. The Chapel of the Saviour is the oldest in the church, founded in 1574 by the De Cinque family. The latter is now the vestibule, although Michelangelo had it as a side annexe with a subsidiary entrance. This may be owing to the parish website not being updated, so be warned of the possible earlier closing. This indicates that the Carthusians had trouble paying for the Vanvitelli restoration. It was designed by Francesco Bianchini, and its function was to check the validity of the new Gregorian calendar. On the right side of the chapel are depicted SS Valerian and Cecilia, and on the left Saint Francis Receiving the Stigmata, both by Baglione. In the middle of the vault is the Holy Spirit with cherubs, and in the panels are the four Western Doctors of the Church: SS Jerome, Augustine, Ambrose and Gregory. Both derive from the order's mother-house at La Grande Chartreuse. The garden is a peaceful place, and contains a fountain of 1695 incorporating ancient carvings of animal heads. The Chapel of Relics, also known as the Cybo Chapel after the founder Camillo Cardinal Cybo, is accessed to the left of the presbyterium. The characters in the latter painting are all connected to the founding of the church; we find Pope Pius IV, Cardinal Serbolloni, Emperor Charles V, Antonio Lo Duca and many more. Da trecento anni custodisce la Meridiana di Bianchini, lo strumento scientifico della misurazione del tempo più prezioso del mondo. Cardinal Alciati was a protector of the Carthusian order, and the monks honoured him by burying him in their Roman church even though he was from Milan. The Eastern Doctor of the Church is shown celebrating Mass before Emperor Valens, who was an Arian heretic. If you wish to experience the layout it is best to visit the Baths of Caracalla in the city first, which has a similar plan and has its ruins free-standing. Pope Clement XIV is reputed to have said that the statue was so lifelike that it would have spoken if the order had not forbidden it (the Carthusians take a vow of silence for six days a week; Thursday is community walk day, when they are expected to socialize). Cardinal Cybo also donated four precious relics of the Western Doctors of the Church: SS Jerome, Ambrose, Augustine and Gregory. This church was chosen for several reasons: (1) Like other baths in Rome, the building was already naturally southerly oriented, so as to receive unobstructed exposure to the sun; (2) the height of the walls allowed for a long line to measure the sun's progress through the year more precisely; (3) the ancient walls had long since stopped settling into the ground, ensuring that carefully calibrated observational instruments set in them would not move out of place; and (4) because it was set in the former baths of Diocletian, it would symbolically represent a victory of the Christian calendar over the earlier pagan calendar. So it was granted to the Carthusians on completion, who moved from their former monastery at Santa Croce in Gerusalemme. The present work has the shape of a segment of a sphere about 3 metres across, and has a sunburst motif in white, black, yellow and several shades of blue. The present small side chapels between the vestibule and transept, and between transept and presbyterium, used to be entrances to four small roofed rooms containing cold plunge pools. A small funerary monument to his wife, Lilla Montebbio, is placed in the opposite wall. Address: They were completed in 306 and, although dedicated to the emperor Diocletian , were actually commissioned by his imperial partner Maximian. In general, the background decorative elements of the vestibule and passageways are by Vanvitelli. The last Sunday Mass is in Latin American Spanish, and in the past has apparently only been celebrated if there is a group which wants it. There are two side chapels, that of St Peter on the left and that of St Bruno of Cologne (1035–1101), founder of the Carthusians, on the right. 9 Via Cernale(Piazza della Repubblica)00185 Roma The sculptures to the right of the altar depict The Meditation (1874) and The Prayer (1875), and are stucco copies of statues at the entrance to the Verano cemetery near San Lorenzo fuori le Mura, by Francesco Fabi-Altini. Just previous to this change of use, the room had been decorated lavishly in a late Baroque style by an artist thought to be Luigi Garzi from Pistoia (1653-1721). istituto secolare santa maria degli angeli Ti appassiona Gesù e la sua avventura d’amore? At the beginning of the 18th century, Pope Clement XI commissioned the astronomer, mathematician, archaeologist, historian and philosopher Francesco Bianchini to build a meridian line, a sort of sundial, within the basilica. A new bronze pulpit was inaugurated in 2009. It was made by either Jacopo Lo Duca or by Giambattista della Porta. They hence became a tourist attraction possibly for the first time, and engravings of the period show visitors looking around. On the front of this new altar is a bronze relief panel of The Deposition from the Cross by Umberto Mastroianni in 1928. So, in 1901 the city commissioned a new decorative scheme by the Sicilian sculptor Mario Rutelli. However, a very useful plan of the original complex, and another of the surviving bits, are on the "mmdtkw" web-page in the "External links" below. The figure of Christ is further divided into four by two slashes in the form of a cross. Some later construction was directed by Luigi Vanvitelli in 1749. Vanvitelli added the monumental entrance, imitating the style of Michelangelo as demonstrated by the tomb niches in the vestibule. This was one of the first paintings moved here by Pope Benedict XIII. Michelangelo Buonarroti worked from 1563 to 1564 to adapt a section of the remaining structure of the baths to enclose a church. There is an English Wikipedia article here. The lunettes have frescoes by Niccolรฒ Ricciolini, who also decorated the Cybo Chapel. The glass cupola is not attached to the ancient roof fabric, but rests on three gilded steel spheres and thus leaves a narrow gap all round for ventilation. They only occupied one side of the cloister, to the north-west. The end chapels of the transept, added in the Vanvitelli restoration and made out of ancient rooms that Michelangelo utilized as entrance vestibules, have lower roofs and are narrower than the transept itself. Hence, some descriptions of the baths prefer the terms basilica or "central hall" for this space. The description below is anticlockwise from the entrance. More recently, national burials have been held in the church. The new fountain after 1887 was decorated with very cheap sculptures of lions, which proved unsatisfactory. Looking at the church from the south, you may be confused as you will be presented with a hulking mass of red brick masonry which looks rather shapeless. He provided four naiads in bronze, subduing aquatic creatures, and (later) a central figure of a water-god. In the corners are the prophets David and Isaiah. It has a narrow rectangular transverse antechamber leading into the chapel itself, and was built in 1742 to hold relics of martyrs connected to the building of the Baths of Diocletian. Located a 16-minute walk from Saint Mary of the Angels, the property provides a garden and free private parking. The major axis of the church continues as the axis of symmetry across the Piazza della Repubblica , and down the Via Nazionale. The naiads proved a problem. The far end of the presbyterium forms a sanctuary which is approached by a flight of four steps. The parish has established a respectable musical profile. The layout was altered again, more or less to its present state, in 1867. The models were twin music-hall performers. Santa Maria degli Angeli a Pizzofalcone is a Baroque-style church in Naples, Italy. At either equinox, the sun touches the line between these two extremes. One of the cypress trees growing here may have been planted when the monastery was founded. The latter solemnly inaugurated the project in 1561. It has 77 registers distributed on four keyboards, and is made using cherry, walnut and chestnut wood. Francesco Trevisani used to have two matching paintings on the side walls of this chapel; he also painted two works in the other arm. This was made by Antonio Muรฑoz in 1920. It is a minor basilica as well as being parochial, titular and formerly monastic. Assisi e Santa Maria degli Angeli festeggiano San Francesco Patrono d’Italia, una ricca due giorni di celebrazioni che si sono aperte oggi nella cittadina della Porziuncola con le celebrazioni del Transito di San Francesco. Inside the interior, darkened by covering the windows, Polaris, Arcturus and Sirius were observed through these holes with the aid of a telescope to determine their right ascensions and declinations. The choir contains boys and adults. The Nolli map, contemporary with the new work, shows the great cloister with seven cells which would have meant that the Carthusian community was a small one. Finally, he knocked a hole in the ancient screen wall on the south-west side of the natatio in order to add an apsidal choir which intruded into the natatio and touched the small cloister. It is just to the left of the far left hand corner of the main apse, and has an unusual L-shaped plan formed of two slab walls with Baroque scrolling on top. During the Kingdom of Italy, … The Sermon of St Jerome, late 16th century, by Girolamo Muziano was left unfinished by the painter at his death in 1592. It depicts the Angel of Light, and is described as "futuristic Baroque". Yes The seven angels represent the Angelic Principalities, and each hold a scroll indicating his duties. It was commissioned by Fr Antonio Lo Duca in Venice in 1543.